Eero Aro wrote:

Hi Dave

I have a feeling that this subject has been discussed in Sursound many times
before.

The point in my reply was that when you use two channel stereo in the
surround sound field, a wide angle between the virtual loudspeakers doesn't
work too well.

I don't know where the 60 degrees angle between the stereo speakers originally
came from. Blumlein used a 30...35 degrees angle between the speakers.
When I started to work in broadcasting in 1977, all control rooms were equipped with a stereo listening setup. The speakers were arranged so that they were in a
60 degrees angle from the mixer's seat.

I have noticed with students, that there is a wide spectrum of people, most do can integrate a stereo sound image between the loudpeakers with 60 degrees. I have met people, who tell that they cannot hear any kind of a stereo image between the loudspeakers, whatever the angle. They hear sound from two speakers. At the other end are people, who can hear an integrated stereo image with 90
degrees.

I don't know. Anyway, in music industry and boradcasting, you need to have some standard. The broadcasting house I worked in, had then 250 radio studios. The listening conditions needed to be at least somewhat similar between control rooms, so that you could continue the work in another studio another day. Why 60 degrees
was chosen, I don't know.

Eero
Because of the < stereo triangle > concept?

http://www.centerpointaudio.com/SpeakerPlacementAndPositioning.aspx

"Equilateral", bla bla bla... the angle is 60ยบ in the equilateral bla bla bla ....
Best,

Stefan