From: Eero Aro <eero....@dlc.fi>
Date: 26 March 2016 12:36:42 GMT
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] Static stereo source in rotating soundfield, possible?

Hi

When you use two channel stereo in the 360 soundfield, pay attention to two
things.

If you pan the Left and the Right channel of the stereo into directly opposite directions, say + 90 and - 90 degrees (to left and right), you basicly lose the directional cues.
What you hear is a very spacious sound image. You cannot detect the
directions of individual phantom sources. If this is what you need, do it. It's about the same which directions you use, as rotating the opposite panned stereo doesn't change the illusion practically at all. This technique has been used with dummy head
recordings, and yes, it is spacey, but no good sense of directions.

If you wish that a stereo image is located somewhere around you, it is better to pan the Left and the Right channel to some certain angle from each other. Try first panning the stereo channels to + 30 and - 30 degrees in front, as in a normal two loudspeaker stereo. You will notice that it sounds a little bit like two channel stereo, but with worse localization, at least in first order Ambisonics. You can then rotate this "sector" to some other direction. At the back and at the sides the localization is not as good as in the front, and it is usually better to narrow down the sector. This is not because of Ambisonics, it's because our hearing localizes phantom sources
from loudspeaker playback in that way.

I have used this technique in "smearing" the localization of a panned mono signal. The mono is panned into some direction and the stereo reverb or delays of that
mono signal panned into both sides of the mono image.

if this is the equivalent of fitting a square peg into a round hole...

Or "drilling a square hole with a triangular drill"?   :-)

Not at all. I think your question is very relevant and welcomed. I wish there would
be more discussion about how the soundfield is used in real life.

Eero