From: Sursound [sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Dave Hunt
[davehuntau...@btinternet.com]
Sent: 29 March 2016 19:02
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Subject: Re: [Sursound] OT Stereo stage width - Was: Static stereo source in
rotating soundfield, possible?

Hi Stefan,

The "stereo triangle" page you pointed to says, "By making the
distance between the speakers and each speaker to you (the center
listening point) the same, you have made an equilateral triangle.
This stereo set up ensures that the sound from each speaker has the
exact same distance to travel to reach you." The first sentence is
true. However an equilateral triangle is not necessary to ensure that
each speaker is at the same distance to a laterally central listener.

For an equilateral triangle the sound would travel the same distance
from one speaker to another as it does to travel to the listener. I
don't see that this is of any importance. OK some sound from each
speaker would be reflected by the other, but this would be off axis
from the source speaker and reflected backwards due to the speakers
being angled inwards towards the listener. I would suggest that this
would be barely audible in comparison with other acoustic room effects.

The -3dB central panning level is a result of the sine/cosine panning
law. One speaker is at zero degrees, the other at 90 degrees. When
fed a mono signal an angle of 0 results in a gain of one to one
speaker and zero to the other. 90 degrees reverses the result. 45
degrees gives a gain to each speaker of 0.707, or -3dB. This appears
to result in a good phantom central image. With a linear panning law
the gain to each speaker would be 0.5 or -6dB, which appears to
result in a "hole in the middle".

Why plus and minus 30 degree separation for "normal stereo" is still
a mystery to me.

Ciao,

Dave Hunt