Eric Benjamin wrote:

When I recorded Haley Jo's lovely voice for the original eight directions, I
also recorded her announcing other directions. Unfortunately I wasn't prescient
enough to record every conceivable direction. I wonder what would be a good
announcement for half height positions?

Virtual reality orientational tracking requires 3D awareness, in general. And secondly we might want to find some "matched" HRTFs (via ambisonic.xyz etc.) which will fit to our personal transfer functions as well as possible.

(Looks like a tautological argument. But beware, it isn't.   :-D )

To come back to your specific question:

http://ambisonia.com/Members/michael/ambisonicfile.2008-07-05.2994956247/

A voice speaks "Up Left Front" through to "Down Right Back".

Exactly what I have suggested, only proposed < many > years earlier. (It seems to be quite intuitive to define "these" 26 voice positions... Actually < 8 > voice directions in a plane correspond to a compass and navigation. NW, N, NE etc. Extended to 3D you will receive 26 positions. Think of some simple 3D compass... ;-) )

Best,

Stefan

Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my PC...