Hi Archontis et al.,

Nice work!  It’s great someone is taking the time to put together the
infrastructure for web-based ambisonics.  I enjoyed watching your Intensity
Analyzer.

How did you encode the raw Eigenmike signals?  Using some of our software
(EigenUnits-Encoder or EigenStudio), or something else?

We did recently give access to the encoded “Eigenbeams” (spherical harmonics)
with the exact intention of making it easier for people to pair em32 recordings
with their own ambisonics decoders.  There are some subtleties to consider in
the encoding process, especially for higher order.  In fact, we’ve found that
some decoders, specifically for HOA, do present some challenges that can
degrade parts of the spatial image and spectral response.  There will be a
paper presented on this topic at the upcoming AES Sound Field Control
conference in Guildford.

In the past, we had control of both ends of the signal chain (i.e. the
beamforming in EigenStudio), and we could “do the right thing”.  Now without
knowing a-priori what the decoder is doing it becomes more difficult.  This
could explain some of the effects discussed earlier in this thread.  We will
soon be releasing some software updates that will hopefully address some of
these issues.  So perhaps reserve some judgement for a later date ;-)

> An Eigenmike has some aliasing limit frequency
You are correct that the Eigenbeams will spatially alias around ~8kHz.  We do
implement a workaround for traditional beamforming, but for ambisonics
applications we just let it alias.  There is still usable signal up to
(temporal) Nyquist and I’ve heard plenty of material that sounds just fine up
there.    A future version of the microphone may not have this issue anymore
(at least in the audible spectrum)…

> It is very hard to obtain or "google" the price of an eigenmike.
We are happy to provide this information.  Feel free to send a request for a
quote via email: cont...@mhacoustics.com
 <mailto:cont...@mhacoustics.com>
> The eigenmike could be a nice tool for VR/AR recordings
Absolutely!  We think so, too.  We’ve actually been pretty busy recently making
quite a few recordings (some with video!), and have some great material we are
going to share publicly very soon.  Hopefully some of it can convince folks
about any sound quality issues as well, especially for musical recordings.  We
will demo some of this also at the Guildford conference.  If you are there,
please stop by, have a look/listen, and continue to share your feedback.

-Steven