I was about to say that this is the sort of thing you get right once and
then never need to touch, but actually I did see a plugin out in the wild
recently with the conversion wrong!

On SN3D, my main worries are (a) losing compatibility with existing
material/projects/kit and (b) it's SN3D, not N3D (which we HAD been
considering and is used in MPEG-H). BUT - those are definitely very
manageable issues and well worth it if there's a strong enough consensus
that modern tools are all heading that way! What I'm really hoping doesn't
happen is that we change convention and then some amazing new toy emerges
using something different...

Thanks,

--Richard