I've deployed a 21-speaker near spherical array a few days ago, which
I think is working ok, but I'm having difficulty with playing back
some first order A-format recordings on it. They sound really very
diffuse and not very localised at all. I figured that some of you good
people on here might have some idea of where I might be going wrong or
what is not right.

At the moment I'm using Reaper, and for decoding I'm using Matthias
Kronlachner's Ambix decoder plug-in, with a configuration that I've
calculated with Aaron Heller's Ambisonics Decoder Toolbox. I think the
decoder configuration is right. I've calculated it with ambix ordering
and scaling, and third order in H and V.  The speaker array has six
speakers at floor level (-22 degrees elevation), eight at ear level at
1m70 (0 degrees elevation), six at 45 degrees elevation and one at the
apex.

Now: if I pan monophonic sources using a panner (e.g. o3a panner, 3rd
order), the localisation is pretty good. I've tested that with several
people by panning to random places and asking to blindly point out to
where they hear the source. Generally, they're in about the right
place (say within 45 degrees on average.)

On the other hand, if I play 1st order A-format recordings (mostly
that I've made using our Core TetraMic), the localisation of sources
is pretty poor. I also tried with the "xyz.wav" example file from Core
(https://www.vvaudio.com/downloads) with the same results. To convert
from A-format to B-format, I've tried using Core's VVtetraVST plugin
with the calibration files for the mic (followed by the o3a FuMa to
Ambix converter), and the Senneheiser Ambeo plugin (which does the
same job, but in Ambix form already.)

So what am I doing wrong? I've spent the last couple of days checking
everything thoroughly. I've calibrated all the speakers to within 1dB
SPL for the same signal received with an omni mic at the centre of the
sphere. I've triple-checked that the encoder is in the right channel
numbering:

//------- decoder information -------
// decoder file =
../decoders/BSU_Array_6861_RAE1_3h3v_allrad_5200_rE_max_2_band.config
// speaker array name = BSU_Array_6861_RAE1
// horizontal order   = 3
// vertical order     = 3
// coefficient order  = acn
// coefficient scale  = SN3D
// input scale        = SN3D
// mixed-order scheme = HV
// input channel order: W Y Z X V T R S U Q O M K L N P
// output speaker order: S01 S02 S03 S04 S05 S06 S07 S08 S09 S10 S11
S12 S13 S14 S15 S16 S17 S18 S19 S20 S21

I'll welcome any suggestion or advice!

Thanks,

- martin