Hi Oliver.

To my knowledge there's nothing special about muxing more than 2
channels of audio with a video stream. Once a video file and a
multi-channel audio file are ready to mux, FFmpeg can do it (MP4Box
is also useful for MP4 streams). About mixing codecs: there's cases
where the MKV container is required; for example, H-264 + Opus, but I
could be wrong. What I found difficult (3 years ago) was to prepare and
render multi-channel audio streams and save them in the AMB format, but
now I suppose there's more options.

I did not know about VLC3 and its ambisonics support.
But I can see here:
https://twitter.com/m4gsoft/status/890127816842465280
That the support is based on Google specs:
https://github.com/google/spatial-media
I guess that the produced files can also be decoded to speaker arrays.

P.S.2: I'd be trilled to consult the FB page that Umashankar suggested,
but it requires a login and I'll never get a FB account. So any useful
info found on FB should be forwarded to non-big-brothered repositories.
--
Marc