But I have been thinking about it -- fatal!

If you start off from WXY, which is what I use, and make these into 4.0, you have merely done a linear transform (a sophisticated LR-->SD relationship). As this is totally lossless, any added phase anomalies either before or after the transform, while they may not give the same effect, could be significant. All I can say is that I have not heard any significant degradation of my recordings when coding them into high rate MP4 and playing them over the internet before subsequent decoding.

I am not trying to be awkward, just trying to make sense of this!

David