Hi len

depends on how you want to use it -  Audacity will play back 4/6/8  channel
files though wont allow routing so they
just output  to 1-n - great for quick testing but not for sharing.
I did do a bunch of streaming tests 5 years ago and settled on 4ch wavs in a
quicktime movie - no loss but for streaming
or sharing I had to create a QT ref movie with the channels allocated as the
movie itself wouldnt remember and reverted  back
to same mono output for each channel.   They worked in VLC and even itunes
shock horror as long as i had a multichannel interface as default

I'll try an mp4 when i get some time - if I just create a 4channel file with
duplicated mono audio and just test null phasing
after Ive encoded

mick