https://cm-gitlab.stanford.edu/ambisonics/SpHEAR/

"3D models

The 3D models currently include the TinySpHEAR, a four capsule first order Ambisonics microphone, the Octathingy, an eight capsule second order design by Eric Benjamin and Aaron Heller and preliminary designs for 12 and 20 capsule designs (the BigSpHEAR_12 and BigSpHEAR_20 models). The models will be expanded as testing proceeds."

So let's not forget to mention your colleague Aaron (Heller), too?

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: I would see the Octathingy as reduced "Platonic body" design.

This doesn't mean it could not be an invention. Even then the spherical array microphone has been invented before. The invention would be to design a microphone for order 1.x?

I am just speculating, because there has to be some specific feature to be claimed.

Citando Eric Benjamin <eb...@pacbell.net>:

I’d like to point out that I am the inventor of the second order microphone array called by Core-Sound the Octomic. I published the design six years ago at the 133rd AES Convention in preprint 8728. I purposefully did not patent the invention to allow entrepreneurs to use the design.  But I would like a little bit of credit! I realize that Core Sound put in significant effort in making their product.

I made the microphone utilize only eight channels because I only can record eight channels.

 Eric Benjamin