Short comments (to text below):
(1)

The ambisonics input channels can’t be coded in some 7.1 (channel coupling, LFE) style, agreed.

With opus you seem to need channel mapping #255, not #1 - the latter  corresponds to (classical) 2D surround sound layouts.

(2) I believe that  FB is already using up to 11 channels coded with opus, although I am not absolutely sure about. (Could say more about this in a few weeks, hopefully.)

(3) Multi-channel != (classical) 5.1/7.1 surround sound.  In fact surround sound is not a synonym for 5.1/7.1.

We are on the surround list, so should know about this!

But now we are getting slightly confused: Xipg.org’s Opus or Flac don’t have to care about Dolby Digital or DD+ 5.1/7.1, right? So maybe you mean 5.1/7.1 channel mapping?

To claim that 5.1 is “Dolby” doesn’t make sense. (There is an official ITU layout standard, and many versions implemented/defined by DTS, Mpeg, Sony and “anybody else”.)

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bs/R-REC-BS.775-3-201208-I!!PDF-E.pdf

So (righteously) you can implement 5.1 and 7.1 audio tracks since Vorbis...

(4) A lossless compression format could be used for mastering. I meant this.

Best,

Stefan