Aaron Heller wrote:

> There's a IETF proposal from folks at Google for "Ambisonics in an Ogg Opus
> Container", based on
>
>   Nachbar, et al., Ambix - A Suggested Ambisonics Format. 3rd International
> Symposium on Ambisonics and Spherical Acoustics, Lexington, KY (2011)
>
> and the idea of a default stereo decode from Etienne Deleflie's Universal
> Ambisonic work

I would instead recommend my proposal for a
stereo decode described at:
http://members.tripod.com/martin_leese/Audio/stereo_mix_proposal.html
http://members.tripod.com/martin_leese/Audio/StereoMix_chunk.html

This can be used not only in Ambisonic files
(see Example 3 on the Stereo Mix chunk page),
but also in non-Ambisonic multi-channel files.
This makes it more likely to be adopted.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org