Please - just call me Gus ;)
At Hyunkooks conference there was someone who had the idea of using phones
(I think in tandem)I cant quire remmeber but I "think" it was  The Vostok-K
Incident – an immersive audio drama for ad hoc arrays of media devices
o If you go to this link and right click it  :

https://research.hud.ac.uk/institutes-centres/apl/events/wimp18/wimp18programme/

Anyway I cant quite remember but there was something a bit limiting about
it (it didnt do surround sound or you couldnt choose the position of the
speakers  etc)  - I just though wouldn't it be great if you could buy a
bunch of speakers , dot them around the room and the speakers would tell
the media player where they were located (using GPS, or some local wireless
positioning system)  which channel they were and then the player would
decode to that speaker array. One day - eh - it would solve the problem of
getting surround sound into the public's homes I reckon. My main interest
is an an artist  creating content rather than developing technical
solutions but Im happy to chat about them.