> From: Politis Archontis <archontis.poli...@aalto.fi>
> Subject: Re: [Sursound] Enquiry on upmixing from 1st order ambisonics to 3rd
> order ambisonics.
> Date: 22 February 2019 18:15:00 GMT
> To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
>

> Hi David,
>
> These upmixing methods extract a lot of information from the FOA recording
> that is then re-used to essentially “synthesize" the HOA signals, with a
> spatial resolution that would not be possible with the FOA recordings. They
> are “active” in that sense, and signal-dependent, compared to the “passive"
> classical ambisonic decoding. Their success depends of course on how
> effective is their underlying model and how robustly they are implemented.
>
> In that sense there isn’t necessarily a large benefit in parametric upmixing
> from FOA to 3rd-order, compared to parametric decoding for playback, since
> these methods can also upmix directly from FOA to, say, 40 speakers or
> headphones, with their maximum sharpness. However, the HOA upmixing could be
> useful for people that are working with a HOA processing pipeline, and they
> want to integrate FOA or lower-order material seamlessly.
>
> Regards,
> Archontis Politis

Very few people have access to microphones beyond FOA, so that in a live
recording a number of close microphones could be mixed in third order, with a
FOA microphone as a "room" mic.

For location recording, the FOA mic options are more robust, with better
weather protection, and more practical than any higher order option.

In a "synthesised" third order sound field, FOA recordings could be used as
more "ambient" stems.

The up-mix is a re-coder, FOA to third order. What would follow it is a third
order mixer and a decoder to loudspeaker feeds. Other third order sounds could
be mixed into the decoder. More than one FOA signal could be mixed into the
re-coder. Whether it is better that each FOA signal has its own re-coder is
debatable.

If the re-coder includes its own identical decoder, which cannot be bypassed,
the two (or more) sets of third order decoder loudspeaker outputs could be
mixed together. The availability of an identical decoder, and a suitable mixer
might be problematic.

Ciao,

Dave Hunt