I worked in an ethnomusicology archive in India for over forty years, and
retired in 2015. In that period I have overseen the transition for spool based
analog archive to an all digital archive. The spools that we recorded, and the
spools we received recorded, are still preserved, though there are now 24 bit
digital copies.

One rule I have always observed: make the best copy you can, but do not apply
any ‘improvements’ (noise reduction comes to mind). If the recordings came as
MP3s. we preserve them as MP3s, alongside a Wave file. If the recording is 44.1
k sampling rate, we do not upgrade to 48 kHz, nor do we convert 16 bit files to
24 bit.

In the last few years, I have deposited first order Ambisonic recordings in the
archive, both as A format and B format. You need the B format because it is
always possible something in the conversion chain will get lost – the
filtermatrix, the processing software. I will soon be depositing eight channel
recordings done with Brahma-8. They will be encoded to 2nd order B format, and
SPS, and the originals will also be preserved. Hopefully, there will be 12
channel MEMs based all digital recordings. The same rules apply.

These rules are the result of many years of discussion with archivists around
the world.

umashankar