Hi,

I enjoyed your comments. I have pondered long and hard about this.

On 12 Jun 2019, at 17:00, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:

>  1. practical HOA encoding (Richard Lee)
>
> From: Richard Lee <rica...@justnet.com.au>
> Subject: [Sursound] practical HOA encoding
> Date: 12 June 2019 10:09:00 BST
> To: 'Surround Sound discussion group' <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Clip
> What HOA does is define the 'point' to be larger at any frequency.  We
> don't need a larger 'point' at LF so FOA is usually sufficient at LF.  At
> mid & higher frequencies, HOA encoding allows a larger 'point' to be
> defined.

Clip

Surely you mean that the point is smaller, and direction more precise with HOA.

> Back to HOA encoding.

Basic ambisonic maths for artificial sound objects does not include distance
modelling. Everything is assumed to lie on the surface of a a sphere of radius
1, unity, which is dimensionless. The loudspeakers are all at distance 1. If
not they can be acoustically corrected by delaying nearer speakers to match the
furthest. That brings up time. The time of sound arrival at the central
listener is in miliseconds, which has dimension.

Gerzon suggested a way to maintain the perceived volume of a sound moving
inside the sphere, by increasing the W component, as the XYZ values go to zero,
to compensate. Otherwise the sound would be appreciably quieter when placed at
zero, getting louder as it moved away until it reached unity distance. This is
a good start.

To simulate things outside the unity sphere you have to start with the inverse
square law. Amplitude of the sound should be 1/d to follow the power inverse
square law. 1/d goes to infinity at d=0. You can simply add 1 to d. 1/d then
goes to 1 at zero, and to 0.5 at distance 1. That works reasonably well,
especially if you use a send to a suitable reverb using a 1/d sq law. The
direct signal diminishes at a faster rate than the reverberation. Just what
Chowning suggested.

Doing both these leads to what seems an excessive loudness at zero in
comparison with that at other positions inside the sphere. The effect of the
modified inverse square law is excessive near zero. Most, if not all HAO
components will go to zero at zero distance. You are left with W. That is
essential, so we have to deal with inside the sphere separately from outside
the sphere. We could sensibly limit the minimum distance to outside the head.
The mathematics has to have a smooth cross-over at distance 1. The inverse
square law can be limited to minimum 1, or scaled between zero and 1 if desired.

When we come to the real world, the speakers are a distance away. This has
dimensions, distance, and time of sound arrival due to the finite speed of
sound. The ambisonic sphere then has to be put on something with real dimensions

More distant sounds take more time to arrive. Sound moving towards or away from
the listener produces the Doppler effect. You can model those by adding a
delay, based on distance, to the sound object, but probably want to make it
scalable per object if you wish to avoid the pitch changes. You will then be
adding that delay to the acoustic delay. Some recordings will have a built in
Doppler effect, and their own acoustic character. Imposing Doppler shifts on
those could be very disturbing.

How do we deal with moving between different size working spaces ?  The
speakers should still be at distance 1, though that varies  in dimensions
distance/time. It would be nice to make delay zero at distance 1, but negative
delays are impossible, unless you can move sound objects earlier in time. The
centre of the listeners head has to be at zero distance.

A soundscape should not change dramatically when put in a different place,
except for the acoustics of the place. Everything should be relative to 1.
Delays and reverb based on real dimensions of the speaker array will change
perceived size dramatically and inappropriately.

I've never really resolved this. I have tried a global delay scaling, which
sort of works, but hard to make automatic

Ciao,

Dave