The spatial reproduction of localization cues as they are used in common
perception tests is only one aspect when it comes to the question of how well
headphones are able to represent 3-dimensional spatiality. From my point of
view it is even more important how headphones are able to reproduce
diffusivity, because appropriate and meaningful diffusivity recognized by the
perceptual system of the listener directly influences the overall quality of
what is perceived. What is meant is the perceptual phenomenon that makes the
listening experience in very good concert halls a very special one. This is a
matter of holistic diffusivity, not local diffusivity, the latter making a
single sound source appear less sharply defined. Holistic diffusivity can be
experienced directly in good concert halls by switching between a place that is
cut off from the diffusivity field (most often under the balconies) and a
"good" listening place during the interval - sometimes it is already enough and
makes t
 he comparison especially striking to simply sit down 2 rows further ahead.
There are worlds between the two listening experiences.

Such holistic diffusivity which is not uniform but highly structured seems to
be largely under the radar of acoustic and perceptual sciences, and, as far as
I know, it is also hardly ever discussed in the audio field.

Already with stereo music recordings, it is usually an essential sound
aesthetic goal for me to make this kind of diffusivity effective to the
listener even within the highly limited context of the stereo format. These
recordings are mixed over loudspeakers, but with the occasional use of
headphones I always choose the Sennheiser HD600. Also and especially with
binaural mixes (HOA 3rd order) I haven't listened to any better suited
headphones so far. Without wanting to judge what the technical background for
this is, the described "holistic" spatial reproduction of these headphones has
been extremely successful. It is the main reason why it seems to be the most
common tool used by audio professionals involved in binaural mixing (it was
also used, besides the entries here in the forum, for the binaural remixes of
old Kraftwerk recordings).

Best
Gernot