Dave, I have meant to follow up on your message  for some time, because your ideas match what I am currently busy with - at last getting to it!

Our first immersive audio implementation uses networked PoE miniDSP speakers which each incorporate a matrix mixer with volume and delay control at the cross points. The delays were a later addition, and I certainly found that the localization was enhanced by incorporating delays. We implemented DBAP for the amplitude panning, but we have implemented and experimented with VBAP. Given that our targeted applications will need irregular speaker configurations, we have settled on DBAP for now.

We had an idea, similar to yours, to utilize the signal processing capabilities of audio interfaces/mixers. Because we owned MOTU devices, we tried this first on three of the MOTU devices, and have updated our ImmerGo software to work with these interfaces. However, it was not possible to implement a delay matrix on the MOTU devices, so they just have a DBAP implementation, not DBADP (your innovative label:)).

I am now working on a mixing console implementation where I believe I can have delay/EQ at matrix cross points for a few channels, where there is an inverse relationship between number of speakers and number of channels with delay/EQ, although all channels can have DBAP. One does need to have mix buses to enable this, and also there often is the timing constraint, because a lot of messages go to the mixer as the sound sources are spatialized. I have found that the MOTU devices are very responsive in this regard.

Anyway, good to have a fellow DBADP enthusiast .

Regards,

Richard.

—
Richard Foss (PhD)