On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 10:12:31AM +0100, Paul Hodges wrote:

> What is the best document to provide to a programmer who needs to work
> with Ambix audio files (reading and writing)?

Depends on if you want to support the 'extended format' or not.
I've never seen any file using it in the wild.

1. Assuming you don't need the extended format.

In that case an Ambix file is just a standard CAF file. It should
contain the full channel set for a given degree (order), in ACN order
and using SN3D gains. That's all there is to it.

In practice WAVEX (.wav) files are as used as well.

So all you need is a library to read/write .wav and/or .caf files,
e.g. libsndfile.

2. If you need the 'extended format'.
-------------------------------------

In that case the CAF format is mandatory. An UUID chunk is added that
contains the definition of a matrix. When reading the file, processing
the stored audio data by the matrix should produce a standard set of
Ambisonic signals, i.e. a full set for some degree, ACN, SN3D.

A document describing this can be found at
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266602800_AMBIX_-A_SUGGESTED_AMBISONICS_FORMAT>

The correct UUID for the matrix chunk is 1ad318c3-00e5-5576-be2d-0dca2460bc89.
The original UUID was actually invalid, and is still shown in Fig.1, as well
as in older versions of the same document still available online (the web
never forgets).

Another useful resource may be <https://iem-projects.github.io/ambix/>.

Ciao,

--