Jun,

Sounds like a great project.  I have long been playing with Teensy's and
ambisonics including porting both encoding and decoding there.  My code
won't directly help you since one of the first things I did was convert the
whole audio chain in the Teensy Audio Library to use floats instead of
integers.  Not only was my own code already in floats but I find DSP
programming in floats much easier than in integers.  And since the Teensy's
have hardware single precision floating point, it all works fine.

A Teensy 4 will certainly be able to run a basic decoder.  The most basic
version is nothing but sums and differences.  The next step up might be to
add shelf filters.  However, for the application you envision, most people
would want to do a conversion to binaural and there I expect you will run
into trouble.  Binaural conversions normally require running multiple
convolutions.  The filters are usually short but I suspect even eight 512
point convolutions are beyond the Teensy 4's ability but perhaps you could
manage if you use integer math and truncate the filters.

That said, I'm sure you can create a basic decoder and run a simple XY
stereo output.  I have seen this used for VR playback with head tracking
and the results were quite usable.  You will also need an ambisonic rotate
unit, ideally with smoothing to avoid zipper noise.  The rotate itself
would then be an interpolation between two 4x4 matrix multiplies, but I
expect you will need to set up table driven trig functions to build the
matrices.

I'd love to hear more about how your project develops.  You can contact me
at dmcgri...@vvaudio.com if the discussion gets too detailed for this forum.

Thanks,
David