On 11/29/22 20:21, j...@bmbcon.demon.nl wrote:
Hi everybody,

I know this has been gone over before, but now more of you must have experience
of the Rode NT-SF1 and the Sennheiser Ambeo mics.

I’m thinking of selling my Soundfield ST350 and getting a smaller, more
portable mic. I have heard recordings of course, but I haven’t been able
to try either mic. It’s more for field recording use, sometimes in the studio.

Is there really a bit difference between the two, do you think? or will
everyone go “Noooo! Don’t sell the 350!”

To get this out of the way: NOOOOO! Don't sell your 350. Best localisation of the three, lowest noise.

I've owned the Røde (until it was stolen from me), and what's great about it is it comes with a really nice ball gag included, and the price is hard to beat. But the localisation performance and also SNR isn't that great - I was expecting a lower noise floor of capsules that size. Still a *very* decent offer, though. For outdoors, it's wonderful.

Never used a series Ambeo, but I've tested a prototype for Neumann (who did the design for SH using KE14 capsules), and the localisation is way better than the Røde due to its smaller size, and it's easier on the pole. Also a bit noisier than the Soundfield, I would say, although I didn't get the chance to make good measurements. A little bit quieter than my tetramic. You can use a simple foam windscreen, but if you want better wind performance, the only real option is Rycote's Baby Ball Gag, which isn't as quiet as a full blimp. Don't know if there's any blimps with lyres big enough to hold the entire Ambeo. I heard they match the capsules, but there is no individual equalisation/calibration.

For demanding stuff indoors, I'm sticking to my ST450.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Tuinbouwstraat 180, 1097 ZB Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net