On 2023-02-12, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

What can happen to pilots is something very different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_illusions_in_aviation

Most of it has to do with the vestibular system, yes. But not all of it. Some of it also has to do with audition as well.

I've been watching through the Mentour Pilot channel on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/@MentourPilot That Swedish pilot minds pretty much everything, while running down the Final Reports of accidents. If you take a look at it, audition is often mentioned.

He's no sursound fiend. But he does mind audio. As do NTSB and the like.

The vestibular system (in the inner ear, sensing rotation and acceleration) can generate very strong illusions which can lead to complete spatial disorientation even when clear visual cues are available.

Obviously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_disorientation

Even if the ears are involved, this has nothing at all to do with audio.

It actually does. Because when you go into a graveyard spiral or one of the other nasty things here, like a climbing stall, you'll experience turbulence. As such, a strong resonant bass note or a narrow band, strong, hum. That'll fuck up your low frequency hearing as well, and since the vestibular tract and the inner ear *are* neurally coupled, strong low frequency sounds *can* fuck up your vestibular system.

I've actually taken a test towards that. I put my (our) Magic Wand at maximum contact and force to my right lower skull, below the ear. I dropped out. Then I re-did the experiment simply by exciting the earlobe. I didn't drop out, but I still experienced hard disorientation. Didn't know what was up or down, left or right. Nausea, nystagmus, all of it.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2