Dear list,

I am wondering about this question:

is it possible/ reasonable to mix ambisonic encoded information of different
order?

For example:
The sound-information (synthesized) is encoded in Ambisonic 7th order while the
spatial reverberation of that very sound is encoded „only“ to third order.

Then both would be mixed together into one encoded file to be decoded later.

Reason for doing so: My reverberant information comes from several directions
in space. If these would not have to be encoded all up to 7th order, it would
save some calculation time and computation effort.
Also the reverberant information may well be more „blurry“ in respect to the
actual sound, as it may stay in the background of perception anyway.

But my emphasis is on the question, if a decode of 3rd *and* 7th order
information - yielding in one encoded file - would be mathematically correct if
it comes to the decoding of the higher order content. Would there be missing
something (maybe an overall lower amplitude of the third order content)?

Best regards,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement         |         object         |        space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition   |    higher order ambisonic music