Good question,

From my experience, two things may happen.

1. The higher order will have lower amplitude but only to the extra
channels of that order, that means that the spatial resolution of the
reverb elemebt will be lower only, as the energy of the signal is given
from the 1st channel as far as I know.

2. Higher order material might have higher or lower level on the channels
that lower order reverb is added due to phase differences that are natural
from the reverb effect. This might affect the final output’s balance
between the first group of channels that carry both higher and lower order
channels ad the second group of channels that only carry the higher order
channels. Again, if I understand correctly, anything added above the 1st
channel
Will affect spatial resolution and not signal level, please correct me if
I’m wrong.

On a more przcrical level, if it’s a movie or an audio drama I wouldn’t
worry about it. If it’s more technical or scientific I would measure with
test signals. Some basic phase cancellation A/B test would give you enough
results to decide what is best for your case.

Cheers!

Pan Athen

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 at 16:59, Jan Jacob Hofmann <j...@sonicarchitecture.de>
wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am wondering about this question:
>
> is it possible/ reasonable to mix ambisonic encoded information of
> different order?
>
> For example:
> The sound-information (synthesized) is encoded in Ambisonic 7th order
> while the spatial reverberation of that very sound is encoded „only“ to
> third order.
>
> Then both would be mixed together into one encoded file to be decoded
> later.
>
> Reason for doing so: My reverberant information comes from several
> directions in space. If these would not have to be encoded all up to 7th
> order, it would save some calculation time and computation effort.
> Also the reverberant information may well be more „blurry“ in respect to
> the actual sound, as it may stay in the background of perception anyway.
>
> But my emphasis is on the question, if a decode of 3rd *and* 7th order
> information - yielding in one encoded file - would be mathematically
> correct if it comes to the decoding of the higher order content. Would
> there be missing something (maybe an overall lower amplitude of the third
> order content)?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jan Jacob
>
> sound         |         movement         |         object         |
> space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition   |    higher order ambisonic music

*Pan Athen*
SoundFellas <https://soundfellas.com/>, *MediaFlake Ltd
<http://mediaflake.com/>*
Digital Media Services, Content, and Tools