On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 04:29:04PM +0000, Heimo Claasen wrote:

> Howard - partly the dispute is trivial: the RFCs and dot-line things
> apply to the _transmission_ phase (net transport) only.
>
> But then:
> > Standard *nix mailreaders do not seem to have problems with unix
> > mailbox format, nor do some (most?) DOS mailreaders. This format
> > has been used for three decades. I don't see why one would expect
> > that it should change.
>
> I would have some doubts about this.

With all due respect, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
I believe it is the mailfile formats in widespread use that you
should be looking at, not the "raw" format of the smtp "DATA
terminating dot" protocol.

Unix mailbox = Berkeley = mbox format is described in mail.local (8).

Howard E.

--
<http://www.ncf.ca/~ag221/>