Hi,

       I believe you should go in the HP 95/100/200/700 direction. I own a
Hp 200lx and it is a fantastic piece of hardware. If you get one you will
probably end up only using the HP and will not pay much attention to your
386!!! It is true that it may be more expensive than 20$, but you will be
able run MS-DOS programs in it, just as you would in your desktop. There are
different models and I am sure you could buy some of them quite cheap. If
you don't want to spend lots of money try to buy a HP 100lx, it has almost
the same capabilities of the 200lx but will sell for half the price. If you
want to find more about this palmtops take a look at these sites:

http://www.hplx.net/

http://www.palmtop.net/

http://www.palmtop.net/super.html

Cheers,

Inigo

PD: These palmtops run MS-DOS and have Intel 186 CPUs, they are real
computers.