Constant,

There's a clue here.  You indicate that after
removing the switch box from the circuit, the
printer was able to print a few pages correctly
before printing garbage again.

Long ago I had a similar problem and it turned
out to be the cable.

Unlike serial cables, which send a bit stream
down a pair of wires, the printer cable is a
parallel cable:  each bit gets its own wire.
If one of the wires is damaged or if one of the
pins doesn't quite connect, the effect is that
there is a bit missing from *everything* the
printer gets.

If you send the phrase "\r\nHello world.\r\n"
to the printer (the \r is a CR, the \n is LF)
the correct binary values are
 00001101 00001010 01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000
01110111 01101111 01110010
 01101100
 01100100
 00101110