I have a vintage 1994 IBM PS/1 486 DX with a standard for that
time IBM PS/1 monitor. When I installed Win 3.1 on it a couple
months ago (used to be plain DOS), I just let the install follow
its default path, and it installed plain vanilla 'VHS' for the
driver. I just picked up a copy of Macromedia Director for Win
3.1, and it needs a more specific driver, with either an 800 x
600 or 1024 x 768 screen resolution.

Win 3.11 has the drivers on disk to support these resolutions...
but before I install, I was wondering how to determine which
resolutions my monitor might support, how much video memory I
have (these resolutions in 256 colors indicate they need 1 MB),
and what will happen, if I install a driver that is incorrect.<g>
I would hate to install a driver that messed up the monitor so
badly that I could not access the computer to change things back
in Windows mode.. or at least if I know such a problem might
exist, I want to prepare in advance, to know how to reverse the
changes in DOS, where the Windows drivers won't be running.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
 to master others is nothing.
 to master yourself is something.