Hello Anthony -
----------

> >> Yes, I do work at a USA university. It has its ups and downs, like any
> >> job.
> >
> >That wasn't a `dig'.  I know from many years of using MSKermit that
> >academia considers kermit a useful tool while other PC users think
> >kermit is old/dead software.
>
> Okay, thank you.  Lately, I've gotten (not from this forum) a number of
> put-downs, because I work for a University, instead of having gone out
> and ridden the bubble of the .com-s or working for some publicly-traded
> company.  So it is a bit of a sore spot with me, right now.

Most are probably a bit jealous.  I had originally planned a career for myself
as an academic but life got in the way.  I admit to a small amount of jealousy
when I find people who are living my `other life'. ;'-)

Take it from one who traveled the other road it's not as interesting as people
try to make it sound.  At university everyone has one thing in common.
They are/were all there to learn and have a respect for knowledge.
This is not the case in the population at large.  Most are only there
for the money and often have no respect for their own profession or
any of the people in it.  Totally different enviroment.  I often refer to it
as working in a whore house - same environment,. anything for the
money and I do mean anything.

> >> Kermit is merely the one that comes to mind most easily, as it's
> >> common, not too hard to find, and free, and has versions for nearly
> >> every OS out there.
> >
> >Others outside of academia aren't aware that it is available for many OS
> >nor is it `common' in their toolbox.
> <SNIP>
>
> Don't know why it wouldn't be, but, yes, I agree, that seems to be the
> case.  The Kermit protocol, in all its forms, is still handy... though
> TCP/IP seems to be overtaking it, these days.

I've had unpleasant exchanges with `the kermit team' about how
they've mismanaged public relations for the kermit protocol which
do popup if you scan usenet via Google.  Prof. Joseph Doupnik
seemed a more reasonable fellow and did give me the URL to
his personal desktop machine where the most up to date MSKermit
for DOS can be found along with source code.  It's linked at my
website. Prof. J. Doupnik is the lesser-known contributor to kermit
but I like MSKermit a great deal myself.  Executes on an XT as
effectively as on an AT machine. :-)

> For those who are interested:
> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/kermit.html
>
> and especially for DOS:
> http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/mskermit.html

Links to the DOS version, MSKermit, are also located on the DOS
pages of my tech website listed below.

Charles.Angelich

DOS the Ghost in the Machine!

Family And Friends wepages - Multimedia
orginal stories with animation and sound,
poetry, music, and photography:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf
Tech pages for DOS and W31 at:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost