Hell Heimo -
----------
> For the moment, I just used the workaraound with DOS transfer and
> rebooting - the point is that I have to work with those files, and
> there's something called deadlines, and those 5 to 6 hours already lost
> with fruitless trials and searching for how-tos which reveil as useless
> are just unallowable in such a situation. It was just one exemple
> again of what happens when working _with_ a Linux box, and not _on_ it
> (or its "administration").
>
> BTW, on older DOS conditions: I wrote a dang simple proggy with the
> Basic interpreter(!) that came along in olden times with MS-DOS 3.2
> (must have been around '86/'87) in order to acquire files from the
> (incompatible) Tandy-100; and quite a number of later examples followed.
> No sweat. I use some of those little helpers still to-day when
> something goes awry but admittedly the DR-DOS Filelink is a bit more
> comfortable.

It has been reading messages similar to the above that gave me the
idea that DOS is "The Ghost in the Machine" for most PC users.
When the chips are down and the rubber has to meet the road we
often revert to our DOS apps to save the day.

Even Linux zealots will find themselves booting to DOS at times to
avoid the hassles of doing things any other way.

It inspired me to write my webpages knowing that DOS and it's
better looking `sister' W31 will be with us for the foreseeable future. :-)

Charles.Angelich

DOS the Ghost in the Machine!

Family And Friends wepages - Multimedia
orginal stories with animation and sound,
poetry, music, and photography:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf
Tech pages for DOS and W31 at:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost