>    From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> If I go into my Cmos setup I find that my hard discs can be
> automatically detected. What I do not understand is why
> there are three choices possible.
> The choice which is highlighted (2) is labeled LBA.
> The others are NORMAL and LARGE.
> Can somebody tell me what the difference is.
> What is the abbreviation LBA?
> And why is it highlighted?

LBA definitely stands for "logical block addressing." This is a way of
figuring hard disk geomoetry that improves on the older CHS (cylinder head
sector) method of mapping HD's, IIRC. Basically, it allows the BIOS to
recognize and use larger disks, or perhaps use them more efficiently. I'm
not sure what "normal" and "large" would mean, unless this refers to
problems DOS initially had with disks larger than 512 MB. Not sure about
the nature of that problem: was it some bug in FAT 16? A mathematical
limitation? Others onlist can address the details much better than I, or
perhaps straighten out any errors I may have perpetrated in any of the remarks above.

James