On Friday 07 July 2006 14:30, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:25:20 +0200
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Apparently we have used wrond console ioctls around freeze() in
> > suspend_system() and in a wrong order.  The appended patch fixes
> > this.
> >
> > Comments welcome.
>
> Just some questions. You told me this was a hack to get the user not
> to switch VTs.
>
> I guess the VT_ACTIVATE before the freeze is need  because we can't
> be sure the user didn't switch since the last time with switched.
> Is the second needed, because there is a (slim) chance they did just before
> the freeze after the first VT_ACTIVATE?

It just returns to the previous state.  I think even if the user manages to
trigger the switch after the first VT_ACTIVATE, it won't hurt us after the
second
VT_ACTIVATE, because X is now frozen and it won't take over the hardware.

> Why do we switch to KD_GRAPHIC just before freeze and KD_TEXT just after?
> Shouldn't we KDGETMODE and restore that?

prepare_console() is supposed to leave is in KD_TEXT.  However it's probably
a good idea to use KDGETMODE anyway.

Rafael