On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:23:07 +0200
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 07 July 2006 21:13, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > On Friday 07 July 2006 15:02, Tim Dijkstra wrote:

> > > Because freeze will mess with the VT state?
> >
> > It shouldn't, but generally we can't assume it never will.

> > > I did a bit of reading on this, isn't using VT_SETMODE to set
> > > VT_PROCESS precisely what we want? If I read it correctly that
> > > will block all VT switching unless we issue the VT_RELDISP ioctl.
> >
> > Well, that should work, at least at first sight.
>
> At the second sight, however, it looks like after VT_PROCESS the
> kernel will block switching _to_ the VT in question and not _from_
> it, and we're trying to prevent the latter from happening here.

Hmm, maybe your right. I was reading this

        The "switch-from" process will need to perform any cleanup, and
        issue the VT_RELDISP ioctl, telling the kernel that it is OK to
        continue the switch. It is also possible for it to deny the
        switch, in which case the kernel discontinues the switch.

But maybe this is only true if the _to_ process set the VT_PROCESS,
seems odd though. There should also be a way to prevent switching
from. Maybe I'll try and test this tomorrow.

grts Tim