On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 12:15:19PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Do you have different PCI card than the person who submitted the
> > > previous whitelist entry?
> >
> > Those EPIA boards have onboard graphics chips IIUC.
> >
> > > If so... we need to enhance whitelist to look at PCI IDs, too....
> >
> > Well, and which framebuffers are used (i suspect this is a vesafb vs.
> > plain vgacon issue), which X server version is running, ...
> >
> > > Any volunteers?
> >
> > I believe we should start the "let the whitelist live in HAL" era :-)
>
> Okay, can you try to write parser with libxml?

Well, we'd first need to have the infrastructure to match against. We
have a (very primitive) pci-bus-scanner in the radeontool source. I
wrote (well, c&p'ed from pcilib example) this one, and i did not like
it. Then we have to get something to give us installed package versions
(we will have machines working with one X server version but not with
another), and we have to actually determine if an X server was running
on the terminal that activated suspend (i have a very dirty script
called "wttyhx", "which tty has X?", in the powersave sources which does
this. Dont look at this one after having lunch...).

I'd rather say "call s2ram with the correct options" and let HAL figure
out the correct options.

A HAL FDI file can match against almost everything, attached devices and
even custom flags added to the HAL database by other subsystems. We
probably do not want this in s2ram :-)

We can just limit the amount of machines supported by "plain" s2ram to
those we can easily match against, but then we can probably also just
stick to the current whitelist format.

Distributions will, however, just use HAL to match the machines and call
"s2ram -f $HAL_S2RAM_OPTIONS" from some HAL helper.
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."