Hi Rik,

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 06:17:31PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please avoid posting HTML emails to the list in the future?

Yes, this would be highly preferred :-)

> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 10:04, Rik Achten wrote:
> >  Dear list,
> >
> >  Dell XPS m1210 notebook, 's2ram -n' output is:
> >
> >  Machine is unknown.
> >  This machine can be identified by:
> >  ??? sys_vendor?? = "Dell Inc."
> >  ??? sys_product? = "MXC062"
> >  ??? sys_version? = ""
> >  ??? bios_version = "A01"
> >
> >  I run opensuse 10.1 with KDE.
> >  S2RAM works (nearly) always. The system does not s2ram when it can not stop
> >  firefox on some very rare occasion (refreshing pages).
>
> Perhaps firefox sometimes is in the TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE (D) state due to
> networking timeouts.

Well, this would be a good testcase for Nigel's freezer changes ;-)

> >  It then comes back on OK. On resume USB does not work and KMIX hangs and
> >  has to be restarted, after which USB works fine again. I also have to
> > change
> >  the affinity of my 'X' tot 1 because of keyboard and mouse issues.
> >  Presumably this is a problem with SMP.
>
> I think so.

These (cannot stop firefox and USB / sound problems) are kernel problems...
(i still have to figure out what connections sound and USB have here, has
the machine a built-in usb-sound device or do you connect one externally?).

> >  S2DISK does not work (yet), the system does not power down, and a reboot
> >  is necessary.
>
> If I understand correctly, it doesn't create the image, does it?
>
> >  My question: I would like to execute a small script to kill KMIX and change
> >  the affinity of 'X' before S2RAM, and restart KMIX during or after resume.
> >  How can I do that?
>
> You can writte scripts for that and hook them up to some events via
> /etc/sysconfig/powersave/events .  For details please refer to the powersaved
> documentation (should be installed on your system).

file:///usr/share/doc/packages/powersave/powersave_manual.html#Scripts
should help - i personally use the beep_hilo script and modify it - it is
as simple as it can get.
If you have more questions about powersaved, feel free to ask on the
powersave-users@forge.novell.com mailinglist.
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."