Hi,

On Thursday, 2 November 2006 15:32, Sheer El-Showk wrote:
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Following up on this I noticed you checked on my kernel bug report
> (bug #7135) to see if any of the kernel devs are working on it and
> Alan said that it will only be addressed as part of a larger project.
> Are you (and others) planning to look at this (and related bugs) after
> you release in November?

Well, unfortunately I'm not an IDE expert, so I personally probably won't
be working on it.  Still I am going to do something about the suspend-related
driver problems in general, so time will tell.

> On a completely unrelated note I recently installed Ubuntu Edgy to
> have a stable system with some new features but was annoyed that
> suspend to ram does not work there.  They don't seem to use s2ram or
> even have packages for it.  I tried just using an s2ram binary I had
> downloaded sometime ago and my laptop wouldn't wake up again even
> though it wakes up consistently in SLED 10 (though it takes a long
> time to wake up because of the hard disk timeout issue with the piix
> driver).  Is this likeley because Ubuntu's customized kernel does
> something weird or because Novell's SLED 10 kernel is customized to
> work well with s2ram?

I _guess_ the Ubuntu kernel is "customized" so that it doesn't work with s2ram,
because vanilla kernel.org kernels should work with it.

OTOH some people reported that Ubuntu kernels successfully suspended (and
resumed) machines which the kernel.org kernels failed to suspend (or resume)
so it looks like Ubuntu has fixed some suspend-related driver problems.  It's
a pity they haven't posted their fixes for merging, though.

Greetings,
Rafael

--
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
                R. Buckminster Fuller