On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 17:36 +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > delta:~ # s2ram -f
> > Switching from vt7 to vt1
> >
> > switching back to vt7
>
> Does it also work from the text-console?
It kinda works for the text console... If root is on console-1
(ctl-alt-f1) and issue the "s2ram -f"  (or the "powersaver -u" command),
then the laptop does suspend/unsuspend.   Upon un-suspend I need to do a
(ctl-alt-f7) (ctl-alt-f1) sequence to get the text console back.
The sequence (ctl-alt-f1) (ctl-alt-f2) doesn't do anything useful, so
this points to some kind of SVGA reset issue.  I have down loaded
NVIDIA's own graphics driver for this machine (to get OpenGL working),
maybe with the standard SVGA driver this issue doesn't exist.

I do get an error message:
ipw3945: error sending cmd #07 to daemon, time out after 500ms.
(ipw3945 is the IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Driver for Linux)

> > FYI: I have yet to create a partition for testing hibernate/suspend to disk.
>
> If you already have a swap partition, then you don't need to create anything,
> only if you don't have swap you need to do something. But usually suspend to
> disk just works.
I have a small problem with hibernate/suspend-to-disk.  The odd thing is
that
1) hibernate from runlevel 3 I have no problems
2) hibernate from runlevel 5 from the text console prior to logging in I
have no problem.
3) hibernate from runlevel 5 from the text console after logging in I
have no luck.

In case 3) I do a lsmod before and after logging in and there are no
additional modules loaded.

Again, I do seem to recall hibernate working at some point (possibly
prior to loading the vendor supplied Display driver)

I guess I should revert the driver to SVGA and test.  Any hints or
encouragement?

>  # lspci | grep -i nv
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 01d8
> (rev a1)

BTW: don't fret, I can OK survive with only suspend to ram.  But I am
happy to help out if there is interest.  Just tag me low priority.

Cheers
NevilleD