On Wednesday 11 April 2007 16:19:44 Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Try to kill hald-addon-stor. Can you successfully kill it? Will it
> > > suspend with that task killed?
> > >                                                                   Pavel
> >
> > I have tested this problem for few days. Acctualy, ide-cd as module is
> > not necessary. Just BLK_DEV_IDEDISK must not be used. With "Include
> > IDE/ATA-2 DISK support" set to NO, system behaves well - hald-addon-stor
> > goes to disk-sleep but just for piece of second, then everything goes
> > back to normal.
>
> Is it possible to kill hald-addon-stor with BLK_DEV_IDEDISK enabled?

No, any signal sent to this process can't cause it to go out from this state.
If this kernel options is enabled, the process stays in 'disk sleep' status
for long. I don't know for how long, from my point of view - it will stay
that way until I reboot.

So, solution for me is to disable this option. Now, process behaves well. I
can s2ram anytime. Anyway, I have sata disk and only atapi cdrom. Reading
about this it seems that problem may be in some hald rules.

Also, problem with console after resume becoming unreadable is solved using
viafb. Now system suspends in 3 seconds, and resumes in 3 seconds with usable
console. Viafb is via frame-buffer console driver from via arena site.

Now, only observed warning or problem is in /var/log/messages during resume:
<date, time> <hostname> kernel: pnp: Failed to activate device 00:07.
<date, time> <hostname> kernel: pnp: Failed to activate device 00:08.

Although, pm-suspend.log is clear. Every suspend and resume part is reported
without error or warning.