On 8/5/07, Luca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You just not include .c files in your source!
> > This is day1 common practice.
>
> Well, the rule is "don't do that unless you know what you're doing";
> the inclusion was deliberate (and permitted by the standard btw).

No it isn't.
You just don't include .c into your code.
You can place all at .h if you like...
But then... Why would you like data in header?

You can also #include a perl script if you like... Although it
permitted by the standard, it does not make any sense... :)

> On the auto{conf,make}: we just have a handful of files, isn't it
> overkill? (Shall I include the standard rant about auto* stuff? :P )

Why overkill?
It can find the dependencies required by package.
It uses the right host and tools (compiler, linker etc).
It can show valid errors for users if something is missing.
It handles source dependencies well.
It supports compiling the same source with different settings without
having you to manage this.
It supports parallel make properly.
It also support correct packaging of your sources.
And much more.

Most people who rant over autoconf/automake just don't understand how
complex packaging/build environment is. And complex tasks cannot be
solved without a price.

Just look at the products (configure.ac, Makefile.am) and see that it
just make it simper.
http://alon.barlev.googlepages.com/suspend-0.6_beta1.tar.bz2
DO NOT RUN THIS PACKAGE.

Regards,