Hi Eric
Would love to see some more comments on this list on this subject
There is quite a bit on the net if you search but a lot of the information
seems to be contradictory.
One article says only 100% Sulphuric Acid will work. and less than 50% there
is no reaction.
Another says concentrated sulphuric is a weak acid and dilute sulphuric is a
strong acid and 1% to 7% works best for lignin. and that a more concentrated
acid will stop the glucose formation.

Some little snips
 1. First, the biomass is collected, dried, and milled to pass through a 4
mesh screen.  Then the material is transferred to a first stage hydrolyser
or large vat.  Sulfuric acid (7.65% by weight) is added to the vat which is
heated to 100¡ C for 2 hours. ( The Tennessee Valley Authority)

2.  Acid Hydrolysis.    Acid hydrolysis normally occurs in two stages.
During the first stage, weak acids break the hemicellulose into its sugar
components. A more severe second stage uses strong acid treatment for
hydrolyzing the cellulose component of the feedstock to glucose' a
six-carbon sugar.
Easter and Goldstein (1992)

3.  Next, pour what chemists refer to as 18 Molar H2SO4, sulfuric acid,
over the sawdust. The commercial designation, if you order it from a
chemical supply house, would be 100% sulfuric acid. However, as low
as 91% will work. We tried 9.2 Molar, or 51%, in the lab and it
simply didn't work. It just sat there and looked at us.
by Mike Brown

I'm confused but still reading. and I know that 27% from a battery will work
on cotton and got the holes in my jeans to prove it.!

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/2/_/837408/_/973350145/