Hi Andy!

I like your thinking! I'm working on a similar plan but with a turbocharged
2.3liter Volvo motor. This is what I have found so far:

Fuel system:
1) Rubber is no-no, the alcohol will "eat it", also test any plastic parts, and
replace with metal. Replace the rubber with neoprene.
2) Because of the "extra" oxygen in alcohol vs.. gasoline and the lower energy
contents, you will need to enrich the mixture with 20-40%. If you are using a
carb, such as Holly 600 or similar, just rejet...a/f ratio for gasoline is
13.5:1 compared to about 7:1 for alcohol. I would recommend an a/f meter, you
can buy them or build them. You will need an oxygen sensor in the exhaust pipe,
either a "one wire" or "three wire" will work, the three wire will operate over
a larger range (self heating), but is slightly more complicated to hook up.
Then you need to measure the voltage over the sensor, 0-1.0 V, if I remember
correct. 0.7-0.9 V is equal to "perfect mix"
3) You will also need hardened valve seats in the heads, simply use heads newer
than 1975 (unleaded gas...) and you should be OK. If you are purchasing
aftermarket heads, just make sure to tell them you're running alcohol.
4) If your motor is going to be "naturally aspirated" you should go for hi
compression. For a 350 there are plenty of piston combos that will put you in
the 13:1-14:1 ratio (ideal for alcohol is 15:1), but remember that you will
need good rods, crank and bearings to go with the extra comp....otherwise
you'll soon have 6 qt of oil on the floor and a gaping hole in the side of your
block!
5) You will have a very difficult time getting your 25 mpg running on alcohol,
simply because you need more fuel compared to gasoline. Try to find a really
high geared rear end (Chevelle's used both 10 and 12 bolt rears, so make sure
you know what you've got...). Look for a 2.73:1 or higher. If you are using a
carb, try to find a small 2 barrel that will flow about 450 CFM. (look around
in the junk yard and find those old "work trucks...many of them were 2 barrels
on 350's) I'm going to use a fuel injection system for mine, but that will set
you back about a grand or so...
6) In regards to "better fuel for your project", you have to formulate what the
objective of your project is. Lowest possible emissions, convert the car for
CNG or LPG, easiest (and cheapest), use E-85 (simply leave the engine stock,
enrich the mix and advance the timing as far as possible. Then just "live with"
difficult cold starts, due to the high evaporation temp of alcohol...)

Good luck and let us know

Rolf Forslund

"Lopez, Andy" wrote:

>  I don't know if you people have thought about this, but this is what I
> would like to do. I'm going to be building a 1970 Chevelle to be daily
> driven. I want to put a very healthy 350 engine along with a 4 speed
> overdrive trans. I want strong power and good fuel economy.(Shooting for
> 25mpg). I am also concerned about exhaust gasses. I'm going to ad dual
> catalytic converters(high flow). I'm also interested in maybe running the
> car on either ethanol or the ethanol/gasoline blend(E85 i think it's
> called).Would this help reduce harmful emissions? What would I have to
> modify to run on this fuel? Is there a better fuel for my project? Any help
> would be appreciated by me and the planet. thanks

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/2/_/837408/_/973632275/