Fwd from Dave Elliott (Dave UK) [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Take alook at www.zoche.de and www.dair.co.uk

These are aircraft engines so for maximum reliability, are more heavily built
and deliver less power than a road engine of similar design could
easily manage.

The big advantages are...

Simple parts:
No camshaft
No poppet valves cam followers etc
Single throw crankshaft cheap to make
Simple cylinder design cheap to make
Small size - No top end valve gear and separate sump can go anywhere
convenient.
No need for separate cooling system. Zoche use air, but sump oil
would easily do
the job.
No more emissions than a 4 stroke because it does not draw air through the
crankcase. Blowers make sure cylinders are well purged diluting NOx and we even
arrange a measure of exhaust recirculation.
Far more power as we get 4 power pulses per turn of the crank.

I thought for bit
Use roller bearings on crank big ends and small ends then a low pressure oil
pump would serve everything. It could even be lubricated with biodiesel, the
fuel being drawn from the hot oil sump return (via filter) and topped up from
the tank. - No need for sump oil changes.
This goes further - as fuel is the lubricant no need for oil control rings on
pistons so less friction losses.
Use Elsbett piston anmd injector design and efficiency goes up further. They
spin the air inside combustion chamber so that the flame does not touch metal
until fully fuel is burnt. They used to hand make some excellent engines but
they were too expensive to survive. They also had a clever 2 part pistion which
allowed much closer cylinder clearances.

Without electronics road power may be around 70bhp per litre (50 in similar
capacity electronic controlled 4 str turbo). But with electronics I
could see it
easily giving up to 100bhp per litre. The Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 litre can be
rechipped to give 170bhp and better economy than standard. I think a radial 2
stroke with similar electronic and injection equipment could deliver that from
half the capacity.

The big snag is that car makers are geared up to mass produce inline 4 pot 4
stroke engines. They are most unlikely to totally rejig their plants to suit a
different configuration. Again (like biodiesel) it would be down to home
engineers but who can afford to build their own engines.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/837408/_/977239363/