>Incidentally, talking of cross-fertilisation, one of the bases for the
>biodiesel argument has been the ethical switch from returning used vegetable
>oil, ex-restaurants etc - to the human food chain via animal feeds to the
>production of biodiesel instead.
>
>Terry

Hello Terry

A big welcome folks for Terry de Winne, mainstay of the biodiesel
movement in the UK. Please check out his website, if you haven't
already, it's excellent - details below (from Journey to Forever's
Biodiesel resources page). (Terry, please tell me if you think it
needs updating, as the situation there changes.)

I've been asking that question about feeding the stuff to animals for
years, since my farming days, and getting a blank stare in return, or
worse. It's great that so many people are asking it now, and that the
perfect solution is to hand, in the form of biodiesel. Pity it took
BSE and the dioxin scares to turn the tide, but maybe we've learnt
some lessons, albeit expensive ones.

All best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

Terry de Winne's Biofuels for Sustainable Transport site focuses on
the lack of UK Government Policy: "So why does the British government
tax biodiesel at the same rate (48.82p per litre) as fossil diesel?"
To be kind, because they're muddled. Thanks to a small contingent of
campaigners, things may be about to change. Terry -- alias Terry UK
-- or Terry de Winne MF, to give him his full title, was awarded a
Millennium Fellowship for his research into electric vehicles and
biodiesel.
http://www.biofuels.fsnet.co.uk/
Sustainable Transport Fuels -- good roundup of the various
contenders, with the focus on biodiesel and lots of well-annotated
resources:
http://www.biofuels.fsnet.co.uk/sustain.htm
For the full story on biodiesel and UK taxation:
http://www.dewinne.freeserve.co.uk/bio.htm
For the British DTI's muddled attitude to energy:
http://www.biofuels.fsnet.co.uk/dtienergy.htm