Gaw,

What was your problem with the pot scrubbers? I only have experience
on smaller stills for human consumtion of ETOH, but the main
ingredient for good refluxing (and hence good product) is maximising
the vapor liguid contact in your column. I.E. overall height, surface
area of the packing, and reflux ratio. The scrubbers are the best way
to go on surface area, most distillers I know report huge gains in
output stregth when they use them. I don't think individual plates
will get you nearly the same performance in a small diameter column.
People do have problems with scrubbers if they pack them in too
tight, and there are a host of other things that can go wrong, but
most report great success. Lots of good advice from people is
available on the "Distillers" group; mostly hobby ethanol distillers
like myself, but the priciples are the same.
-Andrew

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  Was it Keith that said bigger is better? Well while waiting
somewhat
> impatiently for further info on the Butterfield combo I have grown
> impatient to the point that now my fittings have arrived, I am
going
> to put together the 4 inch version of the 803. Anyone out there
have
> any experience along this line?
>  Not having been happy with the pot scrubbers in one version, and
the
> first 803 only being able to produce 80% after eight tries, in
which
> I blame the marbles in part, I am looking for guidance for
something
> in place of beads, marbles, or potscrubbers in the column. Plates
> anyone?
>  Really, if anyone has any thoughts on design or construction I
would
> greatly appreciate the help. thanks gaw

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details