Yes, there have been lots of stories about this, as well as many
other dead zones world wide, that are direct results of nitrogen
fertilizer run off. Judging from past threads on this list I'm sure
that there are some very strong feelings around this group of the
tragedy of this situation and how it could feasibly be avoided (as in
posts I've read about there being no need for nitrogen fertilizers at
all).
Check the archives, I seem to remember some posts from Keith
(surprise surprise) as well as others. I have the general feeling
that the runoff is a result of overuse of fertilizers and factory
farming techniques including single crop fields. This is not my area
of expertease and I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll leave it at
that and let others post you some facts and figures.
-Andrew

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Tim Castleman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> According to a PBS "Nature" program shown here recently, there is
a "Dead Zone" in the Gulf of Mexico the size of New Jersey. This
begins at the mouth of the Mississippi and spreads outward into the
gulf. This is caused by excess nitrogen runoff from Midwest
farmlands.