>hi
>my name is david, say, i'm a new member here.
>i really interested with this biodiesel, and that's
>why i took this making of biodiesel as my final
>assignment, and of course as a requirement of my
>graduation.
>i am a chemical eng. student at state polytechnic of
>bandung, west java, indonesia.
>well, i got some question below, please anyone, would
>you help me ? i really appreciated that.
>
> mike pelly's method said that we must use only  99%
>pure mthanol ? why can't we use below 99 % ?
>and, the same question for the sodium hydroxide, can
>we use not the pure one ?
>
>i think that's enough for now. anyway, thank you for
>your attention.
>
>david

Hello David

The less pure your methanol and sodium hydroxide, the more
unpredictable will be your reaction and the higher your failure rate,
the lower your production rate. Simple as that. Pure methanol and
pure sodium hydroxide (keep it dry!), along with accurate tritration
(if you're using a titration method), are really worth taking trouble
over. Get that right and everything else about the process is a lot
more forgiving.

Are you using palm oil, by the way?

Best wishes, and good luck with your project.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo