Hello David

>my name is david, chemical eng. student at state
>polytechnic of bandung, indonesia. i'm doing the final
>assignment  to produce biodiesel.
>
>thanks for the information keith, i can understand the
>answer. the only reason i ask, is just the cost of
>pure methanol is expensive. it's hard too make the
>product economically.

What do you pay for methanol? It shouldn't be too expensive if you
get it in bulk.

>and keith, i'm not trying the palm oil, but the
>coconut oil. what will be if i use the palm oil ? may
>i know what oil have been used by you and the other ?

Just about everything, I think. Coconut oil should be fine. Someone
once said you could even use earwax!

>i got another question :
>1. i made my biodiesel, but in the end, i have one
>separated glycerine is still liquid even in the room
>temperature ( isn't the temperature to keep glycerine
>in liquid is above of 38 C ? ) and i got one still
>solid even in 40 C and semi gel in 50 C. Is there
>anyone know how could it be ?
>2. i would like to ask everybody, what's the rate per
>liter of any diesel fuel in every country, is there
>any list about it ? please tell me what's the rate per
>liter any diesel fuel in your country.
>3. what could be the effect to the diesel engine if we
>made the product, say , the density is below the
>standard ?
>4. i'm trying to made biodiesel based on the mike
>pelly's method to produce a half liter, but i get none
>but failure. looks like it was soap formation that
>happened. i'm trying to reduce the amount of NaOH used
>to half of 3.5 grams and too half of the amount from
>the titration, but still the soap is formed. is there
>any calibration rate to produce half or double ?
>for example say we made it 10 litres and the amount
>from titration is 2,2 ml. is it mean ( 2.2 + 3.5 ) per
>liter = 5.7 gr NaOH per liter or 57 grams NaOH ? or
>there is another way of calculating ?

I can't follow this, it's not clear what you're doing. I can only say
it again: use pure ingredients, 99%+ methanol, pure NaOH, and keep it
dry! Take care with the titration - it seems you're not being careful
enough, achieving such erratic results. Do the titration a couple of
times to make sure of your results. Also you haven't said if you're
using new or used coconut oil - is it new? Then you don't need to do
titration, just use 3.5gm. Thousands of people are using Mike Pelly's
method with consistent results, you shouldn't be failing if you're
following the instructions properly.

Good luck

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever