This seems to be an ongoing argument, on just what is mete for this
list and what isn't, with little agreement between those with a broad
definition of what pertains to biofuels, full eco- and other context
and all, and those who, at their most extreme, want technical input
on biodiesel, straight veg oil, ethanol, maybe methane, and not much
else.

A lot of listers appreciate the broad definition. Limiting the
discussions would deprive them of information they value, and it
would also greatly weaken the archives. Not limiting the discussion
means those with a narrower definition get email they don't want, but
it doesn't deprive them of anything, nobody's forcing them to read
it, and there's such a thing as a delete button. So the argument
against limiting the scope of discussion is much the stronger. I know
it seems very obvious to those who call for it, but I'd by very
surprised if even those with the most narrow definitions could agree
on what's relevant and what's not - it just isn't that simple. Any
such limitations would inevitably amount to a loss, not a gain.
Again, we could (probably will!) argue forever about what's arguably
on-topic, but it's very clear what's definitely off-topic. Off-topic
posts aren't banned, but it's only good manners to be very sparing
with them, and they MUST be labelled as such. And don't make threads
of them - go off-list if you have an OT response to an OT message.
Lots of members are discussing lots of things with each other
off-list, which is as it should be.

I must apologise, by the way: I'd have called a halt to the merrie
jests a bit sooner, but I was otherwise occupied for a couple of days
and couldn't download my email (and then I got nearly a thousand
messages all at once, like Steve!).

In a previous mailing I mentioned listers' responsibilities, and
several people have touched on that. Yes, we do need to cooperate.
Jerry makes some good points: for instance, the subject changed, so
he changed the header too: "Re: OT posts, was ..." That should be
standard practice, but very few people do it. And this matter of
cropping off all the dross at the bottom is always coming up, but
again very few people ever take any notice, or not for long. Snipping
what's not pertinent from the message you're replying to is also
basic - not just a nicety, these small things are fundamental to
being a worthy member of a big, high-volume list, which is what this
one has become.

Let's have some self-discipline please, as well as cooperation.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo