Frank,
           Here in Auckland the local authority on the Northshore has very
successfully produced methane at the Rosedale Rd tip sight and run a small
electricity generation plant pumping electricity back into the natural grid
for a number of years. The idea is certainly not new and I believe there are
lots of locations around the world doing the same thing. This is possibly
your best source of information. Also have a look at what Steve Spence has
on his website as I am sure there is heaps of info there. B.r.,  David